Bahria University Karachi Campus was established in Sep 9, 2000. Keeping in view the requirements of the university, BUKC Library act as a central library and has a good collection of more then 8000 books on different subjects, which fall under all categories of curriculum, professional and general reading. BUKC library subscribes more than 50 titles of international and local journals, transactions, magazines & periodicals. Beside these BUKC Library also purchases 11 (3 Urdu and 8 English) daily national and international News Papers for students/faculty/library users to keep them aware with the day to day’s world. Latest editions of leading text books and reference publications are being continuously added to meet the user’s requirements properly. The library collection includes general circulation books, reference books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, atlas, handbooks, periodicals, research journals & CD’s. The library offers specialized services in the University campus utilizing computerized retrieval of bibliographic databases containing references to thousands of articles, books, proceedings, technical reports and statistics through HEC Digital library resources.
Goals and Objectives
The BUKC Library is responsible for the following:
- To develop specialist research collections in designated areas e.g. Management Sciences, Telecom, Computer & Engineering Sciences, Social Sciences & Environmental Sciences.
- To acquire, organize and maintain a collection of Information resources as required supporting teaching and research of students and faculty.
- To ensure resources are made available in the most convenient and user-friendly format possible with access to support services.
Monday to Friday
0830 hrs to 2130 hrs
Friday Lunch/Prayer Break
1300 hrs to 1500 hrs
1400 hrs to 2130 hrs
1000 hrs to 1830 hrs
BUKC Library: Pictorial Tour
BUKC Library Rules for Students
- BUKC Library Membership ID is must to avail library services. BUKC Library Officer will issue each student to their unique Library ID after complete scrutiny & processing of their submitted library membership forms.
- Personal belongings (such as file covers, briefcases, bags, handbags and laptop covers etc.) must be left outside the library at the designated bag keeping area. Make sure that you have carried your Laptop, wallet, cell phone, keys or any other valuable with you. BUKC Library staff will not accept any responsibility of lost/theft of your valuables from bag keeping area.
- Student must show and keep display their University ID Cards prominently during their stay in the library.
- Any activity except reading/writing is strictly prohibited. Eatable and drinks are not allowed inside the library premises. Changing library seating plan or interfere with electrical appliances is not allowed.
- Members who behave in abusive, disorderly, disruptive, indecent, offensive, or unreasonable manner will be asked to leave the library. In case of non compliance disciplinary action will be taken and their library IDs will be blocked and they will be restricted to use library services for a limited time as a punishment.
- Library members are not permitted to use their cell phone inside the library premises. Cell phone must be switched off in the library. Laptop’s/IPODs sound system/speakers should also be on silent mode.
- Misuse of Laptops (other than educational activities) will be closely monitored by library staff.
- Each student can use internet facility for 30 minutes only & for using the internet station prior enrolment in login register is must. Only one student is allowed on one station and you can not switch or replace your seat with some one else with out the permission of library staff. After 30 minutes system will automatically logged you off and you can not claim any lost of data.
- Talking loudly or making noise is prohibited. Maintain complete silence during your stay in the library.
- Group study, group discussion, group assignment is not allowed inside the library.
- If a student requires photocopy from a reference book or magazine, he/she should inform the library staff for the purpose. Students can get photocopies of reference book(s)/Journals on payment of 1 PKR per copy as discounted price.
- All library material must be returned back before leaving the library. Un-borrowed items taken beyond the library premises are considered stolen. Offenders are liable for suspension and stern disciplinary action.
- Text books are limited in number and will be issued to students for 07 days only on first come first serve basis.
- Non text books borrowing period is 15 days.
- Reference Books and Journals/magazines will not be issued under any circumstances, but these can be issue interim basis only for photocopy purpose.
- Final Project Reports, Thesis, Dissertations comes under strict plagiarism rules and will not be issued under any circumstances; these can be viewed only with in the library premises after submitting the original ID card at circulation counter. Photocopying, scanning or photograph is not allowed you can only write down hand written notes.
- Re-issue or renewal of borrowed books cannot be claimed as a right. Priority would be given to those in waiting list, if any.
- Reader must return or reissued all library material promptly. Readers should ensure the material is returned by the due date, otherwise penalty will be incurred and as a punishment library ID will be blocked for unlimited period.
- If any library item is found damaged at the time of its issue, the borrower must immediately inform the library circulation staff about it. Otherwise borrowers shall be responsible for any damage to the borrowed items. The library staff can ask the borrower to replace the damage item with the same item in excellent condition.
- If any library item is lost, then the borrower must replace the same item with in a month time frame. If not found from local market then the double cost of the item will be charged.
- Members must notify/update the Library Officer in case of any change in their postal or email addresses.
BUKC Library: Collection
Bahria University Karachi Campus Library is working with the aim to provide the students and faculty with State of the art Library and Research Center at BUKC.
Following facilities are available for Students and Faculty.
Bahria University Karachi Campus Library possessed more than 8025 books. These books belong to Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Management Sciences, Earth Science, Social Sciences and Reference books. In reference section BU Library has Encyclopedia Britannica, World Book, World Atlas, Hand books, Thesaurus and famous Dictionaries.
Material On CDs
BU Library has approximate 300 CDs in which digital books, software and other study aid material are available. Students / faculty can get its softcopy.
Journals/ Magazines/ Periodicals
Bahria University Karachi Campus library is subscribing to 10 research journals/Transactions of IEEE and ACM in computer science and engineering subject and 32 other research journals/Magazines in subjects of Earth Sciences, Social Sciences and Management Sciences. Back issues of research journals are also available within the library.
Library is daily receiving 11 titles of English/Urdu national newspapers (Including Gulf News). Library maintains three month’s previous record of Dawn and Jang newspapers for reference and research purpose.
BUKC Library: Services
Borrow, Renew & Reserve
All registered users of Bahria University are entitled to borrow books. Lending privileges differ for various categories. Please enquire at the Circulation desk. To borrow books, please give your library membership ID Number at the Circulation desk.
Trained & qualified supporting staff is available to give reference services to interested library users.
CDS on different subject of printed material of library holdings and of Virtual University are available for consultation and reference.
Photocopy facility is available on cash payment to make copies from Text and Reference books, because these books are not allowed to taken out/issued.
BUKC Digital Library: Available Resources
BUKC Library: HEC Digital Library Workshop
BUKC Library: Book Fairs
BUKC Library: Useful Links
BUKC Library: Download Forms